- ————Acquisition of shares or units in a fund by an investor. NYSE Euronext Glossary
* * *subscription sub‧scrip‧tion [səbˈskrɪpʆn] noun1. [countable] an amount of money you pay regularly to receive a newspaper, magazine, or broadcasting or telephone service:subscription to
• A subscription to their quarterly report costs $575 a year.
• The World Service TV channel is a subscription service available to millions of homes around the world.2. [countable, uncountable] FINANCE when a company offers shares to the public:
• They intend to raise £1.9 million via a share subscription.
• The subscription price for the new shares was 225p.3. [uncountable] FINANCE the act of asking to buy or agreeing to buy shares in a company:
• 25.2 million shares are available for subscription.
• Existing shareholders have priority subscription rights (= to subscribe to shares before they are offered to anyone else ) .4. [countable] an amount of money that you pay regularly to be a member of an organization or to help it; = DUES:subscription for/to
• his subscription for the Student Union
* * *subscription UK US /səbˈskrɪpʃən/ noun► [C or U] STOCK MARKET, FINANCE an occasion when shares in a company are issued , or the number of shares involved: »
You will soon have the opportunity to purchase stock through a subscription offering.»
The subscription price was 287p.»
Rights issues require a minimum subscription period of 3 weeks.► [U] STOCK MARKET, FINANCE the act of asking or agreeing to buy shares in a company: »
Preferential subscription rights are offered to existing shareholders.► [C or U] (INFORMAL sub) COMMERCE, COMMUNICATIONS an amount of money paid regularly to receive a newspaper or magazine, to use a phone line or internet service, or to be a member of an organization, or the act of paying this money: »
charge/pay a subscription»
cancel/renew a subscription»
I've taken out a subscription to the gym.»
a membership subscription»
an online music subscription service»
An annual subscription to the magazine costs £32.50.»
These government publications are available on subscription.► [C] (also subscription ticket) a season ticket for cultural events: »
a subscription concert»
Theatregoers who bought subscriptions did not receive refunds when the playhouse closed.
Financial and business terms. 2012.